New Year's Resolutions (2020)

     So here it is - that time of the year. We're already in December, and as many other people, I look at the past year with mixed feelings, and contemplate over what I've done right and what I haven't. I spent half of it being pregnant, and I can't say it's been all a hardship. On the contrary, there were many good days, some successful, others bright, others carefree, and yet others difficult. Still, I look back at them all feeling grateful over what I've learned and achieved. 
     I have to admit, though, that pregnancy is not an easy thing, and being inexperienced as I was, it did restrain me in a lot of ways. True, it is one of the best gifts one can get out of life, but nonetheless, it's not simple. 
     Right now, I want to focus on the things I missed out last year. I want to do things differently, and to do different things. Like every year, I've created my new set of resolutions to follow. I am going to make it an attempt, however, to look back at them and assess myself on a regular basis. I will also try to share each accomplishment I make as a celebration of my achievement and a record of what I've reached that year. 

Here it goes:

My New Year's Resolutions for the year 2020

1) Spend more time with my family. This is going to be my #1 priority, because nothing is more important. During my free time, I will leave everything aside and focus on that first.

2) Have more date nights. And that just follows from #1. I will work hard on this one, but I will definitely make use of the baby's sleeping hours to enjoy a good movie or dinner together in the evening. 

3) Save money. Seeing the hardships and unpredictability we're going through in the country these days, I'd rather spend on the fundamental and necessary things. I'm using the situation to my advantage: I'll be better able to save money, and that's always a good thing. 

4) Cook more often. I admit, I wasn't much of a cook when I was pregnant, but I thought that was going to change now that the baby's 7 months old. I was wrong. I will need to use my weekends more wisely and to prepare ahead of time, as my little ball of energy is leaving me with no energy by 5:00 p.m. 

5) Double the baby's savings in the piggy bank. We've been already putting coins in before he was even born, and right now, he's got a decent amount! I'm hoping we can double that up for him this year and maybe open a bank account for him to use when he's 18.

6) Treat myself well. Everything included: hot baths, extra special at-home facials, nails, exercise, and good nutrition. This would take me right to #7.

7) Get in good shape. I did lose the baby fat I've gained immediately right after giving birth, but there are still those annoying 3 kilos, and by starting my migraine medication again, it's been difficult to get rid of them. So hopefully, I'll find a way to do that asap. 

8) Be out in nature more often. I definitely do miss that one, and will hopefully make time for it.

9) Read more. I remember when I was a child and through my adolescence, I used to read tons of novels. For a couple of years now, I've been focusing more on my research and scarcely had time to read anything else. I think I just read one book last year. This year, I'm attempting to change that and read more novels. 

10) Work on advancing my professional life. I will write more, get those necessary papers done, and do that colloquium exam. Period. 

11) Enjoy life more. We're a generation who's used to doing things in a rush. We barely have time to eat, and if we do, we're doing that along with something else. Well, it goes for me, at least. This year, I'm going to live more in the moment, and to focus on single-tasking- to enjoy every moment of my life. 

12) Be grateful everyday. I need to be grateful for the gifts God has given me, and for those He hasn't; for the good people who make my life better, and for the not-so-good ones who teach me a lesson;  for all that I've achieved, and all that I haven't. There's a reason behind everything. 

     Alas, I've written down my New Year's resolutions, and hope I can achieve at least one per month. Have you decided yours yet? 




Comments